GRWM: Breaking down my basic skincare and easy makeup routine
Anybody else feel like when you work from home you end up by looking like a complete bridge troll 90% of the time? I saw a meme once, that I completely resonated with, that was something like “I’m either a bridge troll or a trophy wife, there is no in between”, and ya, that’s basically me. Don’t call this a resolution, but I am committed to finding some middle ground.
Even though I work from home a lot, there are a lot of “home” days where something will come up with a project and I have to run out. Then, as one does, I’ll convince myself that I’m already “out” and make my weekly Target run, all while rocking the no bra, sweatshirt and black leggings look. Hair a mess, no makeup, you get the idea.
What I would love, is to work out a few days a week, get dressed and do my skincare and my hair daily, put makeup on most days and generally look halfway decent and presentable the world. Can I do this? Honestly probably not, but hey, early January day are for setting goals, and who am I if not at the very least a goal setter.
MY SKINCARE ROUTINE
On the days when I do skincare, I have a pretty basic routine. I use a lot of products from The Ordinary, because they are non-toxic, sustainably focused and well, they work for me.
1. The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution: I use this, in 100% honesty, I’ve used it twice, but ideally I would use it twice a week, and that is my goal. So far, I like it and feel like it leaves my skin feeling soft and looking even.
2. The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum: I am almost out of this one, and ordered more this week. I think it really works, and my eyes are notoriously puffy.
3. The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + Hyaluronic Acid Serum: If I wash my face, or after the shower, I us this first or after the caffeine solution. Seems to be helping the Botox do it’s thang.
4. The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum: More often than not, when I don’t wash my face or shower (again, hoping to change this!!!), I use this in the morning and at night. I’m on my 2nd bottle, and I like it a lot. It’s super light weight, enough to wear under makeup, and really hydrating.
5. Bliss Youth Got This Prevent-4 Pure Retinol: Super gentle, and really luxe, plus non toxic, I love this and use it at night. I’m almost out, and ordered more this week!
Basic Makeup Routine
Because I have 2 kids, a full-time job and make zero time for myself, I rarely do my makeup. I really don’t have a lot of makeup skills, so my routine is very basic and minimal.
1. Too Faced Born This Way Undetectable Foundation: I need almost full coverage to just even out my skin tone, and I really like this one. It isn’t cakey at all, and I feel like it blends really well. I use the color “Porcelain” in the winter months.
2. E.L.F. Hydrating Concealer: My undereyes have always been a problem, hence the caffeine solution. This one isn’t cakey, and is inexpensive which is good because I buy a sh*t ton of it.
3. E.L.F. Halo Glow Liquid Filter: I haven’t used this yet, but it’s a tiktok sensation, my best friend swears by it, and I just ordered it in color light/medium.
4. NYX Wonder Stick: I’m obsessed. So easy, great color, and did I say easy? Try the TikTok filter that helps with contour placement and then get blending. I use the color Medium/Tan.
5. E.L.F. Primer Infused Blush: I love blush, and this one is a great rosy cheeks color. Mine is called “Always Rosy”.
6. Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara: The only thing I love more than blush is mascara, and I’m always trying different ones. With ski season here, I need waterproof, so I just ordered this one!
the rest of it
These products I use daily, I’m almost out of, I’ve reordered a bunch, and generally swear by…
1. IGK Good Behavior Spirulina Protein Smoothing Spray: I spray this on wet hair before blow drying or on dry hair before flat ironing/curling. It makes my hair super smooth and helps protect it from the heat too. For more of my haircare routine, you can also check out this blog post.
2. Maely’s B-Flat: I have some stubborn stomach skin since pregnancy that is just loose. I got hit with an insta ad for this and decided to buy and it has actually worked wonders! I’m almost out and am going to rebuy for one more month and also get the B-Tight and B-Foxy next!
3. Kristin Ess Nanoblack 3-in-1 Ceramic Flat Iron: I use this to straighten and curl my hair, and it’s awesome.